Friday, February 20, 2015

Tudor Bag

Have you seen the Tudor Bag by Sew Sweetness?! I was lucky enough to test this awesome "create your own adventure" style handbag a couple months ago. It's a beginner friendly tote style bag, that is chock full of optional features to make it uniquely yours. The finished size is 13.5" L x 12.5" T x 5"D it's a generously sized tote, but not so ginormous it couldn't be used as your everyday bag.


Depending on the features you choose, it's a super quick sew and can easily be done in an afternoon. For those looking for a challenge, add in a recessed zipper closure and extra zip pockets if you fancy.
I'm not a huge fan of zippered closures, only because I hate taking the time to unzip my bag when I want to get into it, so I left that out. The pattern calls for 1 yard of exterior print, but as I wasn't fussy cutting and added more accents in I was able to get mine out of about a 1/2 yard of the exterior print. (But I'm also psycho about conserving fabric when cutting...)



I loved this bag so much that I made a second one for a swap that I participated in, this time in a Cotton and Steel print I thought my partner would like.


This time I added a front slip pocket and omitted the accents along the bottom pieces. Also, I have fallen in love with gold thread! Look at the top stitching in the gold thread!!! I want to use the metallic thread ALL the time now. 



As with ALL of Sara's patterns, this is super easy to follow along with. Even though this bag is rated for a confident beginner, even an advanced bag maker would find it a satisfying with all the customizing that's possible.