Thursday, February 19, 2015

Mabel Vintage Handbag


Last month I had the pleasure of testing the Mabel Vintage Handbag from Swoon Patterns. Mabel is a darling little handbag that is perfect for a night out, a little girl, bridesmaids gifts or, for a travel cosmetics case.



Mabel is a really quick sew and requires only a yard total of fabric, so she's perfect to use up those smaller cuts in your stash. Since I'm a BIG bag girl, I knew Mabel would make a perfect cosmetic case for me. With that in mind, this Frances Newcombe print was screaming to be used for Mabel.


Mabel was a very quick and satisfying sew, coming together in an afternoon. She calls for a turn lock closure, which I would highly recommend if using this as a handbag, as the closure will be supporting the weight of your bag and the contents. Since, I wasn't planning on using her that way, I opted for a magnetic snap so that I could showcase these lovely ladies on the flap. 



This is a beginner friendly project, even though it calls for a heavy stabilizer (Peltex 71) it's completely out of all seam allowances and none of the seams are bulky to get through. The only place you have to sew over it is when top stitching the flap. Mabel is a darling bag and is available for FREE over at the Pellon website.  


No comments: