I didn't intend to make another quilt, but I really want to play with some designs to see if I could pull any of them off. The fabrics in this case were actually the easiest part. I received a few lovely fat quarters from Anna Maria Horner's Diwrt line earlier this year from Camp Stitchalot. I really liked these prints but wasn't really sure what to do with them.
One night, I got an itch to start playing and made some half square triangles. I had never made a HST before but I decided to play around.
I found that making the HSTs weren't hard at all and actually was quicker than I expected. I toyed with several layouts:
|Please excuse the cat photobombing|
Not really knowing what I was doing, I sketched out some ideas and consulted Pinterest and found this layout:
My husband pointed out that he thought this looked like something unpleasant, but I went with it anyways.
And I'm glad I did.
I used Ikea fabric for the backing and the contrasting fabric on the HSTs. I used what little scraps I had left from the Dowry to make the scrappy binding. I was hesitant to use a scrappy binding, but I really liked how it worked out.
This quilt is far from perfect, and you may spot the very large obvious mistake, but I think it's cheerful and it makes me happy :) I have a lot to learn about quilting but I did have fun making it.